Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Leader Looks Up to Someone, and It's Not Norman Lear!

I had the opportunity to listen to The Leader (I will no longer mention His Holy name, as it is too revered for a common peon like myself to invoke) on a Philadelphia radio station that caters to primarily white, middle-aged males (The Leader is appealing to those lost souls) the other day. What he said shocked me--The Leader admitted to wanting to be like some gentleman named "Doctor J"!

"I think any kid growing up, if you got a chance to throw down the ball from the free throw line, that's better than just about anything."

Well, I did some research while working at the library today (thanks, Wikipedia--you've never led me wrong yet!) and found out that "Doctor J" isn't an actual doctor, but a gentleman by the name of Julius Erving. It seems Mr. Erving was a basketball player of some note back in the 1980's (that's why I didn't notice him--I was always busy with my Commodore 64 playing "Voodoo Castle" with my A/V Club friends) who could place the basketball in the hoop without using the underhand shot method that I prefer.

While I admit that I was hoping The Leader was referring to John Brown, the peaceable, early-day Dr. Martin Luther King of the abolitionist movement back in the 19th century, I now admire "Doctor J" after reading about him--he's a great athlete, moral leader and true gentleman who is worthy of being a friend to our great Leader.

However, I'm sure that, instead of The Leader looking up to Doctor "J", it's Doctor "J" who looks up to, and strives to be like, The Leader. I love you, magnificent Leader!

No comments: